Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 24 - Time flies when you’re having fun

It’s as if time is teasing us! The moments when we are bored the most the clock seems not to tick, no matter how many times we look; and those moments that we would desperately like to linger on seem to go by as if the clock’s hands were a high speed train in a hurry. For me the last 4 weeks were definitely most like the latter. I’m still astounded that my last blog entry has come, and I cannot tell you how much my mind resists against clicking on the button “post”. Even though the participants were the ones that were supposed to learn from us (which, in my opinion, worked), I cannot help but notice that I have learned a lot as well.

The first workshop I gave I was incredibly nervous (for both the Spanish and the teaching). Over time, though I gained a lot of confidence and my Spanish improved to a level that I didn’t expect to reach in such a short period of time. I have to admit as well, that I’m beginning to understand, and even feel empathy, for teachers. I’ve only stood before classes of a maximum of 16, and noticed how annoying (even motivated) students can be! I also, for the first time, had to really take responsibility for a group of people when we went into San Miguel for example, and I can tell you, you suddenly see everything from an entirely different perspective!

But me aside, the past three days the participants have been working on their own projects, and I, like my co-facilitator before me, think that the projects they come up with are mostly amazing! You see that they have actually applied things we taught them before. This is very rewarding. It is amazing to see so many projects rising from scratch! It shows me several things, one that there are so many things that need fixing, which is in a sense depressing, but the positive thing is that there are also people who want to do something about it in their own ways, which is amazing to see, and in a sense gives me hope. I do hope that the participants will carry on the good work they’re doing after this week. I’m kinda afraid though that some of them got a little bit over exited in a sense that they want too much. Nevertheless, their ideas are great and for as far as I can see now they’re doing great!

Now I’ll have to finish a blog entry for the very last time.

It is time to say goodbye now!

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery but today, today is a gift (that is why they call it the present)”

-Alice Morse Earl-

I’ll enjoy this project for as long as I can! Hope you enjoyed reading my entries.

Hans van Deursen (The Netherlands, UWC AC 10-12)

No comments:

Post a Comment